A graduate of the University of South Carolina with a bachelor's of science in Criminal Justice, Robbie spent his 29-year career working in investigations and enforcement with South Carolina law enforcement agencies. His last assignment before retirement from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) was as a Special Agent/Pilot with the Aviation Department, where he operated the agency’s helicopters as part of investigative, interdiction, and enforcement activities. He also was able to employ his expertise specifically for aviation investigations and aircraft fatalities.
Prior to that, he served as a Special Agent in SLED’s Vice Unit, where he conducted narcotics and alcohol investigations that included undercover work and surveillance, as well as overseeing investigations and criminal enforcement for the SC Education Lottery. He managed numerous accident and death investigations involving alcohol and drugs (often with minors), armed robberies, internal theft, and white-collar crime.
During his time with the Vice Unit, he served as personal security detail for notorious child killer Susan Smith and assisted with the investigation.
Leadership, commendations & honors
- JP Strom Award winner for highest academic standing at the SC Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA)
- 2010 and 2012 commendations for multi-agency, multi-jurisdictional I-85 “Rolling Thunder” interdiction operations in Spartanburg County
- Alcohol & Beverage Control Commission commendation for undercover alcohol operation
- Spartanburg County/SLED commendation for expertise and professionalism in aviation involving a two-state pursuit
- Certifications for Basic Instructor and Driving Instructor at SCCJA